Now there is another DMX512 IC chip that have same pin definition with UCS512C4, but with higher gama curve correction like gama of 1.0/2.0/2.2/2.5 with 16 bits of data for each color makes dimming curves very smooth that can take the place of UCS512C4 version.
Today, we mainly discuss the two DMX512 IC chips differences that may help you to choose the suitable DMX512 RGBW led strips for your requirements.
This IC chip named TM512AC was designed by Titan Micro Electronics in China. TM512AC IC chip comes in a SOP16 package and SSOP 10 package. The two packages offer all the nearly 100% features that 4 channels output which is dedicated to RGBW design with high precision and constant output.
Firstly we should note the functions the UCS512C4 and TM512AC both share:
- They are all 4-channel LED chips with standard DMX512 485 TTL transfer.
- They are all can control RGB+W(other single color) solutions.
- They are all NO redundant data line.
- OUTR/OUTG/OUTB/OUTW four-bit constant output channel.
- When write DMX512 address via the DMX512 address writer, they no need to connect the address cable ( PI ) to the DMX address coder.
- They have same pin defination.
Secondly, note the differences between UCS512C4 and TM512AC led pixel tapes
UCS512C4 is only 8 bits of data for each color makes dimming curves less smooth; TM512AC is 16 bits of data for each color makes dimming curves very smooth.
UCS512C4 has gama curve of 1.0 that is a linear progression between brightness and DMX Value that is not of any good use in any case of “screen technology“ ; TM512AC has gama curve of 2.2 ( fixed ) that is a curve progression between brightness and DMX Value which is more suitable for human visual perception
- After DMX address coding, the UCS512C4 RGBW led strips lighting white color ; TM512AC IC chip after DMX address coding, the first pixel of TM512AC RGBW led strip lights up in red, rest pixels light up in white.
- UCS512C4 only SOP16 package that is 60mA current output maximum; TM512AC have SOP16 and SSOP10 package that SOP16 is 80mA current output maximum, SSOP 10 is fixed 18mA current output.
- The PWM selector of UCS512C4 can select the reverse polarity frequency reduction function, and the port refresh rate after frequency reduction is 500Hz; The PWM selector of TM512AC can select the reverse polarity frequency reduction function, and the port refresh rate after frequency reduction is 250Hz;
Below is the relationships between Gama correction with the LED output and LED input value.
Here’s a chart to make the differences easily to see clearly：
|LED strips Voltage
|DMX address writer
|3-80mA/Channel, SSOP is 18mA
|Color after finish DMX address
|1st is RED, rest are White
|Reverse polarity frequency
|Signals with transmission rat
|200 kbps ~ 750 kbps
|200 kbps ~ 1000 kbps
The TM512AC and UCS512C4 IC chips are all good DMX512 IC chips, just to care their gama curve if is suitable for your project.
If your project have high demands of LED color brightness when DMX output, then TM512AC is a good choices for you. Otherwise UCS512C4 is a suitable product.
But this TM512AC gama correction 2.2 is fixed that couldn’t be adjusted like 1.0/2.0/2.5. If you need this adjustable gama correction DMX512 IC chip, then you can email us directly. We will post this adjustable gama correction DMX512 IC chip article soon.